I am the Director of Finance & Operations at a bustling secondary school in Brighton, having relocated from Essex in 2016. I have proven experience in the fields of Educational Leadership, Strategic Financial Management, Estates management, Health & Safety, Catering, Administration and Project Management. More latterly, I have become something of an expert in goats and act as unofficial agent for the celebrity phenomenon that is the Varndean Goats.
Boring professional stuff
I have proven experience and success in:
- the implementation and continuous review of finance, data and systems and the production of varied reports, projections and management information for SLT, the Governing Body and the EFA.
- The leadership and management of a very large, high performing secondary school with over 2000 students on roll. As part of the Senior Leadership Team, I play an active part in supporting the Headteacher to achieve the educational aims of the school, in all areas of the usual Business Manager role, namely Finance, HR, Administration, Premises, Catering, Health & Safety and ICT.
- Previously working across a small MAT of 4 partner schools overseeing all SBM type stuff. Oversaw the conversion to academy status and the painful hell that went with that.
- Now based in a large secondary school, I have a passion and belief in collaboration as the solution to almost every educational problem.
- Accuracy and reporting. I regularly submit accurate returns to Governors, the borough and the DfE, EFA, HMRC and OFSTED and am continuously reviewing internal systems to ensure the most effective and accurate implementation of all systems and procedures throughout the school.
- Developmental initiatives – I am actively involved in the production of the school SEF and SDP, and all internal development plans, and their subsequent implementation. The school converted to Academy status in June 2011 and I was been instrumental in the planning and consultation process associated with this move.
- Facilities Management – alongside the management of a 19 acre site and school with 2200 staff and students, sports centre, swimming pool, farm and cinema, I am currently project managing the construction of a £9m concert hall and performance venue (Saffron Hall) which provides a world-class venue for the east of England in a unique educational setting .
When I’m not working
I’m now based on the sunny south coast, working in the fabulous city of Brighton, where anything goes. In my spare time I juggle family life, dogs, cats rabbits and goats. When my furry and family duties are done, I collapse on the sofa and de-fragment my mental hard drive on social media.
Bigotry, twitter-snobberati, trolls, and people who think everything they read is about them.
If you don’t like it, move along.
One life, one chance, one voice, make sure you hand it back with the tank completely empty.
When the good outweighs the bad, you’re getting it right. When the bad outweighs the good, get rid of the thing that’s weighing you down.